Wednesday, September 07, 2022

Tenor Rogelio Peñaverde, Jr. headlines fundraising concert


The Friends for Cultural Concerns of the Philippines presents classical crossover artist Rogelio Peñaverde, Jr. as he pays tribute to the 2022 National Artists in Minamahal Kita: The Art of Filipino Love Songs, happening this September 15, 2022, 6:30 PM at the Main Theater Lobby of the Cultural Center of the Philippines.

Now based in New York, Peñaverde comes home and brings his concept to fruition in Minamahal Kita as he performs Filipino love songs ranging from the classical up to the contemporary.

Directed by Manolet Garcia, the concert will also feature guest artists namely soprano Athena Macatangay, cellist Giuseppe Diestro, baritone Kris Gonzales, guitarist Lance Capitan, pianist Madeline Jane Banta, soprano Myramae T. Meneses and pianist Nathan Gemina.

Tenor Rogelio Peñaverde, Jr.

Originating from the Philippines, Peñaverde flew to the US to study at the Manhattan School of Music in New York City for a Master’s Degree in Voice. After graduation, has appeared in several productions like Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Così fan tutte (Ferrando) with the Martina Arroyo Foundation, Leopold Mozart's Missa Solemnis in C at the Saint Patrick’s Cathedral of New York, and in the Off-Broadway run of Figaro 90210 (Basel) by Ragman Ventures.

When the pandemic shut down all live performances, Peñaverde turned to songwriting eventually coming up with 12 compositions collectively called the Pearl Drive Project in 2021. This led him to perform, as his alter ego Ilustrado, at Pete’s Candy Store in Brooklyn and also at the iconic Mercury Lounge in New York.

Proceeds from the concert will go towards the FCCP's 26 scholars. Speaking of scholars, here are some words from Madeline Jane Banta and Nathan Gemina, guest pianists at the concert, both of whom have been FCCP Scholars.

Harpist/pianist Madeline Jane Banta 

In a nutshell, how has FCCP contributed to your journey as an artist?

Jane: I definitely consider The Friends for Cultural Concerns of the Philippines (FCCP), through Martin Lopez, as part of the circle of friends who helped me. I value and appreciate their generous financial contribution to my studies and living expenses abroad. But more than that, they’re friends too because they gave me moral support. They were present, always ready to answer my questions and listen to my stories, and provide some connection to home. Without letting me feel the pressure, they encouraged me when I had doubts, and this inspired me to work hard and do well. The best part of it is that their support did not stop when I returned to Manila in 2017. They have continued to be a partner in my career as harpist and pianist, connecting me to people, providing performance opportunities where I can share what I have learned in all these years of learning about music, and encouraging me to branch out and keep learning about the world outside music.

Nathan: The FCCP has been a monument in my journey as an artist. While I was a music student in UST, I was blessed through their scholarship program. I have also been given meaningful opportunities by the FCCP in showcasing my talents as a pianist.

As their scholar, it felt as if they have put a certain degree of trust in me as an artist in upholding my artistic excellence and values. That trust has propelled me time and time again to live up to a high standard of excellence in my craft.

Pianist Nathan Gemina

Any message for the FCCP and also for potential future scholars?

Jane: I am glad that FCCP and I share the same mission of sharing music and the arts (yes, harp music too) to fellow Filipinos. Performing and joining FCCP events is meaningful to me because I would like to be able to help other scholars fulfill their dreams, so that they could in turn also give back to the community. Education in culture and the arts is important because through this, we celebrate our humanness. It is this that unites us, despite all our differences and other boundaries that may separate us.

Nathan: It is from the bottom of my heart that I thank the FCCP for being a pillar in my journey as an artist. They have valued me greatly as an artist and person. I am blessed to have experienced both the organisational and personal relations that the FCCP has so professionally and kindly exuded. May God abundantly bless the FCCP's endeavours!

I continually believe in their support for current and future Filipino artists. What they are doing will make an impact in the next-generation artists' hopes and dreams. To the future scholars - you are the key in shaping the world and our nation's culture. May you dream big dreams and believe that God has made you with the purpose of making an impact to the people around you with your skillful hands, voices, and ideas.

For tickets, inquiries, and more information, visit the Friends for Cultural Concerns of the Philippines' Facebook page or call call Angie Godoy at +63927-2292128.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...