Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Return of the Comeback of the New and Improved Haring + Ubu-L XXX


I first encountered the Sipat Lawin Ensemble during their Fragments section at the Virgin Labfest last year. And during that time, they honestly freaked me out. But that changed this year when I was really amused by their on site performances of Kontrabida, Inc. And I’ve also gotten to know some of the actors from the ensemble. So it’s no wonder that while I was just hanging out at the Cultural Center of the Philippines waiting for the Noli Me Tangere opening night to start, I was somewhat forced by them to come back the next evening to see their play.

I’d like to believe that I am an open minded person who doesn’t flinch at the unconventional so I convinced myself to experience The Return of the Comeback of the New and Improved Haring + Ubu-L XXX, Sipat Lawin’s own take of Alfred Jerry’s Ubu Roi over at the Tanghalang Huseng Batute (CCP Studio Theater). But I got very apprehensive when I read their announcement advising the audience to bring extra shirts, wear raincoats and even prepare umbrellas. I wasn’t reassured at all when I saw a photo of a scene from the play depicting the death of a character by stoning with shit. And then there’s the slogan of Bawal Sumuko, Puwedeng Sumuka which translates to surrendering is forbidden, puking is allowed. Thoughts of whether watching this was  a wise decision or not started creeping in my mind. But then I’d really like to convince myself that I am truly open minded person who is open to new ideas no matter how unconventional and that I am very much willing to expand my horizons no matter how terrifying.

The story set inside a toilet bowl was simple enough; Papa Ubu (Nar Cabico) and Mama Ubu (JK Anicoche who is also the director) along with Kapitan Tutan (Acey Aguilar) plot to kill Haring Bulbo (an unfortunate audience member) and they succeed. Prinsipesa Bukkake (Dorothea Marabut-Yrastorza), the king’s daughter escapes and vows to avenge the death of her father. The Ubus rule the land but things don’t end up well when Kapitan Tutan protests, Prinsipesa Bukkake returns and the Ubus relationship becomes strained. And with ill intentions from all of the characters, they were doomed to fail right from the start and they became meat for the sharks in the end.

Throughout the play, there were heavy doses of stylized sex, offensive dialogue, and toilet humor. Several audience members were dragged into playing some bit parts as well. Probably the main highlights of the production were the eating of shit (or whatever that was) by some of the audience members and the spewing, spilling and dripping of whatever liquid substance those were into the audience. I was extremely glad that I wasn’t dragged into playing a part and none of the liquid projectiles hit me. No wonder that some from the ensemble wanted me to watch the night before while I was wearing a Barong Tagalog. I would’ve been easily spotted among the audience and very likely dragged into having a part. And worse, I would’ve had some expensive dry cleaning bills if my ever my outfit got stained by whatever those liquids were.

I know that I’m not really the intended audience for this play but I do see the fun aspect of this production. And I was extremely thrilled since I felt that I was able to escape madness and was able to come out of the theater unstained and unscathed. And since I’ve already experienced an unconventional play by the Sipat Lawin Ensemble, I think that I’d be more willing to participate and subject myself to embarrassment when I find myself watching one of their future productions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...