Saturday, November 12, 2011

11th Israel Film Festival


The Embassy of Israel held a special screening of the film A Matter of Size a few weeks ago hosted by Ambassador Menashe Bar-On and his wife, Madame Esther Bar-On. The Embassy has been very nice to me ever since I assisted a couple of musicians that they’ve brought here some time back. And I’m very grateful to be invited once again and this event was my first experience under the new Ambassador. This film screening is in line with the 11th Israel Film Festival happening on November 14 & 15, at the Greenbelt Cinema.

RAd with Yaniv Revach, Deputy Chief of Mission 
and Neelesh from the Embassy of Israel

Looking back, I couldn’t remember if I’ve ever seen an Israeli film in my entire life so I am glad to have had the opportunity to see one at last. Watching the film made me realize about a lot of things about Israel  that I’ve never thought of before like the Israelis having a sense of humor since this film is a comedy, that they also have people struggling with their weight and that sushi bars exist there as well. Silly as it may seem but these never crossed my mind until I’ve seen the film. The film, directed by Sharon Maymon and Erez Tadmor, despite having literally heavy characters, is actually a light one. I was feeling a bit under the weather when I attended this screening and I was pleased that it didn’t require me to dig deep in order to appreciate the film.


A Matter of Size


The film told about the story of Herzl (Itzik Cohen) who is struggling with his weight. He then discovers a Sumo wrestling match and decided to totally forget about losing weight and just form a Sumo group with his fellow overweight friends. And it was through this endeavor that they’ve come to accept not just their weight but also some underlying issues within as well. The film may not be an epic but it was a satisfying introduction of Israeli cinema for someone who is not familiar with their film industry like me.

Cinema 5 Greenbelt 3
November 14-15, 2011

Screening times:
1:25 PM
3:45 PM
6:05 PM
8:25 PM
10:45 PM

Ticket price:
P65

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...