Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Faces of Pinoy Rock


I've never been a rocker. In fact, I’ve always liked to say that I am the typical classical music geek who usually gets beaten up by rock musicians. Well, I’ve never been beaten up by rockers but it’s just my way of saying that I’ve never been comfortable attending rock events. But a few months ago, the Embassy of Italy gave me my rock star moment and since then, I haven’t been as apprehensive as I was regarding rock events. Thankfully, their latest event was a fusion of rock music and visual art and not a full blown rock event so I had no problems going there. My knowledge about art specifically paintings are so minimal so I think that the exhibit Faces of Pinoy Rock by Nino Quartana (a Sicilian who has been based in Manila for five years) was another opportunity for me to learn more about visual art. And I’ve always liked seeing the people from the Italian Embassy and the Philippine-Italian Association since they’ve been so nice and kind to me.

Unfortunately, morning activities during this day finished a bit late and I wasn’t able to make it on time to see the formal opening of the exhibit at My Little Art Place. I missed the prepared programme, the speeches, the opening remarks, the messages and also Ambassador Fornari and Madame Silvana. But I still was able to make it and I arrived at the gallery already teeming with a good sized crowd. As I was making my way through the gallery and searching for people I know, I recognized Erwin Armovit aka Armo from the band Sponge Cola. And lo and behold, the rest of the band was also there.

Nino Quartana with Sponge Cola

It was only right then and there that I came to realize that Filipino rock musicians were the subjects of the paintings featured in the exhibit. I confess that I had no idea what the exhibit was all about coming in and I just went there since I was invited by the Italian Embassy. As expected, Sponge Cola was one of the artists/bands that had their portraits done. It was interesting to see that their painting, based on their Araw Oras Tagpuan CD cover, was done with bright aqua and hot pink colors reminding me of cotton candy. Based on my experience with the band during their Blogger’s Night, I can imagine lead singer Yael Yuzon eating cotton candy with delight especially now that the band recently got a Diamond Record certification.

Other artists/bands featured at the exhibit were Raimund Marasigan, Bamboo Mañalac, Arnel Pineda from Journey, Razorback, Wolfgang, Urbandub, Franco, Parokya ni Edgar, and Kamikazee. I was amazed to see how the works captured the character of the artists and bands like the playful and naughty nature of Kamikazee and Parokya ni Edgar. As an added experience, MP3 players were also attached to each of the paintings so that the viewers can hear the music of the artists while looking the art. And as I was examining the painting of Bamboo while listening to the music, I reminded myself that I need to get hold of a copy of his new CD as well.

Manila in the Night

Oddly, the one work that really spoke through me was part of an earlier series. The painting, entitled Manila in the Night, utilized volcanic ashes from Mayon volcano and it depicted a lone, colorful jeepney traversing an empty road while tall buildings stood in the background like sentinels. The juxtaposition of the quaint yet colorful and moving jeepney with the imposing yet immobile buildings really appealed to me and I kept looking at it throughout the afternoon/evening. If only I could afford it, I truly would be a happy camper.

I stayed at the gallery for a long time and enjoyed the food and drinks in the company of old friends and new acquaintances. And I also got the chance to know more about Nino and was quite surprised that he had a previous work based on the very popular Filipino axiom “Bahala na si Batman” which is what the locals say in times of helplessness and when a favorable resolution is in the hands of Batman, of all people. Nino, along with other people from the Italian Embassy (Isis, Giovanni and Antonio), some friends (Lorena and Patrick) and I still went out to have a bite and have some more drinks. And this was when we were able to discuss more about Italian music, literature and comics and also about the infamous Metro Manila traffic. Looking back, I guess that it served me well when I said to myself “bahala na si Batman” as well when I decided to go to the opening of this exhibit.

Nino, RAd and Isis

Faces of Pinoy Rock is a visual arts marketing promotion (vamp) project of GAPS, Inc. (Guia Acosta Publicity and Special projects) pioneering in the advocacy of arts, culture, education in cooperation with My Little Art Place and with the cultural participation of the Italian Embassy, the record companies and the artists’ management. The exhibit at My Little Art Place 222 Wilson St. Greenhills, San Juan runs until December 16, 2011. The gallery is open from 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...