Wednesday, November 14, 2012

MSO V: Claire Primrose and Wagner

Soprano Claire Primrose

Featuring:
Claire Primrose, soprano
Randy Gilongo, tenor
Manila Symphony Orchestra
Alexander Vikulov, conductor

Programme:
Richard Wagner
     Overture from Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg
     Dich Teure Halle from Tannhäuser
     Prelude and Liebestod from Tristan und Isolde
     Winterstürme from Die Walküre
     Introduction to Act 3 from Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg
     Immolation Scene from Die Götterdämmerung

Australian soprano Claire Primrose is considered to be as one of the best Wagnerian sopranos today. What better way for me to be acquainted with Richard Wagner’s works than by a concert featuring one of the best interpreters of his music? That’s how I set my mind when I watched dramatic soprano Claire Primrose sing her heart out during an all Wagner concert by the Manila Symphony Orchestra held at the Philam Life Auditorium. Completing my introduction to Wagner was guest conductor, Russian Alexander Vikulov and Filipino tenor Randy Gilongo.

Before the concert, a pre-concert lecture was given by Peter Porticos giving me some vital information regarding Wagner and his music specifically on how it differs from the Italian operas. Hearing the lecture got me a bit worried since I like Italian operas especially those by Puccini so I thought that what I would hear would be drastically different from what I’ve grown to like. But one thing that gave me a bit of relief was knowing that Wagner used leitmotifs a lot and that he has also influenced film music composers from Max Steiner whose works include Gone with the Wind to John Williams of the legendary Star Wars.

The concert consisted of music from the operas Die Meistersinger von Nürnber, Tannhäuser, Tristan und Isolde, Die Walküre and Die Götterdämmerung. The overture from Die Meistersinger von Nürnber opened the night, giving Alexander Vikulov and the Manila Symphony Orchestra a moment to establish themselves. Soon enough, Claire Primrose finally appeared on stage and performed her first number which was Dich Teure Halle, Elisabeth’s Aria from Tannhäuser. Next was the Prelude and Liebestod from Tristan und Isolde. The Prelude gave Primrose a chance to have a brief rest before entering again for the Liebestod. During the Winterstürme from Die Walküre, tenor Randy Gilongo joined Primrose for this duet. Then it was yet another purely instrumental piece by the Manila Symphony Orchestra with the Introduction to Act 3 from Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg before Primrose returned for the finale which was the Immolation Scene from Die Götterdämmerung.

Conductor Alexander Vikulov and Lisa Macuja

It’s undeniable that the star for the evening was Claire Primrose. Her first number brought in an extended round of applause by the audience. And that was just the second piece of the evening! Even if I found it a huge challenge to firmly grasp Wagner’s music, Primrose’s vocals, soared comfortably and was able to keep up with the volume of the orchestra. I also found it remarkable that Gilongo was able to tackle an aria which is very different from the ones he sang during the recent production of Carmen a couple of weeks back. Alexander Vikulov and the Manila Symphony Orchestra exhibited good rapport brought about by their recent performances during Lisa Macuja’s Swan Song Series by Ballet Manila. The audience responded very well without any hint of Wagner’s reputation of being a difficult composer to appreciate. Despite the thunderous applause by the audience that probably matched Primrose’s booming voice, there was no encore.

I won’t pretend that this concert automatically made me a Wagner fan. I still find his music difficult to grasp. I am still new to opera and the productions that I’ve seen this year had been very friendly for newcomers to the art form like me. But this challenged me to get to know Richard Wagner and his works a lot more. Sadly, I wasn't able to attend her masterclass that happened the day after when I could've learned a lot more about Wagner. And when that time comes for me to watch a full length Wagner opera, I’ll remember for sure Claire Primrose, Alexander Vikulov along with Randy Gilongo, the Manila Symphony Orchestra and this concert as the moment where it all started.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...