Friday, March 08, 2019

RAd's Playlist | Mayuzumi: Samsara, Phonologie Symphonique & Bacchanale


The next Philippine Philharmonic Orchestra concert happening a week from now will feature my favorite symphony of Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky and a romantic cello concerto by Robert Schumann. But the music on that night that intrigues me the most is Bacchanalea piece of 20th century music by Japanese composer Toshiro Mayuzumi.

This is by far one of the most adventurous of Fukumura's programming since he became the PPO's music director and principal conductorBut he is no stranger to this work since he has recorded it along with a couple of other Mayuzumi compositions with the Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra almost 35 years ago. And this record has been re-released by Naxos last June 2018.

It would serve me well to give this album a listen prior to the concert to give me an ideabout what to expect from Bacchanale. I might as well go on and give the other two pieces, Phonologie Symphonique and Samsaraa spin to get acquainted with Mayuzumi and also widen my music horizons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...