Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Noli Me Tangere, the Musical Experience Part 1

The Music Run Through with Mr. Ryan Cayabyab

Ryan Cayabyab gives instructions

Ever since I heard a few musical numbers from Noli Me Tangere, the Musical during the J.P., ang Gig ni Rizal and also at Tanghalang Pilipino’s 25th Season presscon, I realized that I couldn’t get enough and that I had to hear more. Fortunately, I had the chance to drop by during the cast's music run through rehearsal with no other than Mr. C himself, composer Ryan Cayabyab. His music along with National Artist Bienvenido Lumbera’s libretto give so much prestige to this musical and I couldn’t help but expect a lot from the cast.

It was still a very rainy day that afternoon but thankfully, it was dry and comfortable inside the rehearsal area at the Aliw Theater. Some of the cast members were already there finishing their lunch when I arrived. And soon after, they started vocalizing while being accompanied by Music Director Jed Balsamo on the piano. Right from the start, I noticed at once how strong they are vocally. And then a few moments later, Ryan Cayabyab arrived and they got into serious singing.

More instructions from Mr. C

I was extremely fortunate to see how Ryan Cayabyab works. It was truly amazing to see how he made one piece, with the chorus singing just in unison, sound a lot better when he suggested that they add more character to their voices. And this resulted in an unusual and rather haunting texture but sounding a lot better even though they were just singing the same notes. And hearing them that close with their voices reverberating at the hall was such a treat for someone like me who had been looking forward to hear the chorus sing. And I wasn’t disappointed especially when I heard them take on my favorite song as of the moment which is Sa Labas ng Bayan.

Ryan Cayabyab looks on as Jed Balsamo plays the piano

The leads and those with supporting roles also went through their songs as well. Gian Magdangal who plays Crisostomo Ibarra was solid as always. Cris Villonco as Maria Clara surprised me a lot since she sang with such maturity that I found it hard to believe that she’s no longer that little girl on television. Garry Lim and Ring Antonio who play Don Tiburcio and Doña Victorina respectively sang an animated and comedic duet without breaking a sweat. Al Gatmaitan is a very interesting Padre Salvi since he is more menacing than the frail priest depicted in the novel. And there’s nothing frail about his tenor voice. The other Ibarra, Mark Bautista and Bodjie Pascua who plays Padre Damaso were not present during the rehearsal so I hope to see them when I visit once again.

Ryan Cayabyab, suggested that they go through the entire score which meant that they would work over time but no one complained. Sadly, I had another event to attend to so I wasn’t able to see how they wrapped up this rehearsal. But as I’ve mentioned earlier, I do plan to drop by once again and hopefully see and hear those who weren’t present before. Until then, I’ll keep on humming the melody of Sa Labas ng Bayan.

Gian Magdangal sings his lines

Noli Me Tangere, the Musical runs on all weekends of August 2011 at the Tanghalang Aurelio Tolentino (CCP Little Theater).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...