Sunday, July 03, 2011

Pinilakang Tabing: Handog sa Pelikulang Pilipino

Silver Screen: Tribute to Philippine Cinema


I found myself once again at the Cultural Center of the Philippines and this time it was for the the Pinilakang Tabing: Handog sa Pelikulang Pilipino event. This grand production, staged by the Movie Workers Welfare Fund (Mowelfund), together with the Film Development Council of the Philippines, the Cultural Center of the Philippines and TV5 is in celebration of the 92 years of Philippine Cinema.

Celebrating the 92 years were a number of major stars headed by former President Joseph Estrada, National Artist Eddie Romero. Senators Jinggoy Estrada and Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. were among the actor-politicians there. Some celebrities who were there that served as narrators at the show were Jun Urbano, Aljur Abrenica, Bella Padilla and Cesar Montano. Celebrities in the audience who didn’t have any active role in the production were few and were only limited to veterans. I think that it’s a shame that other celebrities, especially the young ones, weren’t present. I guess that it reflects on the apathy of these stars on the history of Philippine cinema.

Nevertheless, the show was indeed a grand production and a very nice tribute to the rich history of Philippine cinema. A number of film clips, stills, photographs and other videos chronicling the early days of Philippine cinema were shown followed by musical numbers. It was so refreshing to see the Philippine Philharmonic Orchestra under the baton of Josefino “ChinoToledo providing all Filipino music to the whole event especially when they accompanied during the song and dance numbers.

Pinilakang Tabing: Handog sa Pelikulang Pilipino finale

Tex Ordonez, Justin Quirino, Tanghalang Pilipino Actor’s Company, Mitch Valdez, Bituin Escalante, DJ Lady Trinity, Dingdong Avanzado, Jessa Zaragoza, Gian Magdangal, Ciara Sotto, Jolina Magdangal, Dulce, Tonipet Gaba, Jake Macapagal, Carlo Orosa, Arnold Reyes, JM Rodriguez, Aiza Seguerra and the Hail Mary the Queen Children’s Choir were the performers during that evening. Without a doubt, it was Dulce who stood out the most for me. Her first song, Matud Nila was in Cebuano and I didn’t understand a word and yet she conveyed such emotion to the song that it got through me. This, along with her very solid vocals and her stage presence really resulted in one of the most applauded numbers of the night. And she also sang a second number that Janno Gibbs was supposed to sing according to the programme. I don’t know what happened to him but I don’t mind having Dulce sing a second song during that evening..

But for me, the show went into a bit of a depressing turn when Boots Anson-Roa, president of Mowelfund, said that Dalagang Bukid (Country Maiden), the first locally produced movie is lost forever since no print remains. That and the fact that the same fate awaits a lot of the older films if they’re not archived properly was the hard reality that the entire film industry has to face. I know that it’s supposed to be a tribute and a celebration but that realization, along with the declining number of locally produced films in recent years, as pointed out by former President Joseph Estrada during his opening remarks, made the occasion a sort of wake up call for the film industry.

Boots Anson-Roa with guests

I did find it very interesting that a few weeks back, I was at the Cinemalaya press conference which showcased what’s new and upcoming in local cinema and then this event highlighted the past. So in just a span of a few weeks, I was able to get a very wide view of the Philippine cinema and I’ve been learning a lot. And learning always leads me to appreciate things more.

Definitely the most memorable moment of this event for me was meeting THE Ms. Bella Flores who is already a pop culture icon as one of the premiere villainess in Philippine cinema/television. I couldn’t let the evening end without meeting and having my photo taken with her. I even told her that I actually waited for years for me to meet her and when the opportunity came, I grabbed it with no hesitation at all.

RAd and THE Bella Flores

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...