Tuesday, September 06, 2011

The CCP Arts Appreciation Tour

Olivier Ochanine with the Philippine Philharmonic Orchestra

To say that the art installatian Politeismo by Mideo Cruz which was part of the exhibit Kulô held at the Bulwagang Juan Luna at the Cultural Center of the Philippines was controversial is an understatement. I never imagined the frenzy, chaos, drama and theatrics that accompanied this exhibit since I was able to view this a few times right after it opened. And I was also able to view it a few times during the Cinemalaya when the CCP was brimming with people. And all that time, while some people including myself found Politeismo not appealing at all, there weren’t any violent reactions until some people with their own agenda stepped in. I don’t want to get into the debate regarding the merits of the exhibit. All I will say is that while I think that Politeismo was done in bad taste, I think that the chaos that ensued and the grandstanding done by some people was a lot worse.

One of the effects that this controversial artwork has done was the threats to cut the budget allotted to the CCP probably to teach the people there a lesson. I am very much aware that the CCP and its resident companies operate in the tightest of resources. And I am very much afraid that the people who call for budget cuts and worse, the closure of the institution are totally uninformed of what the CCP really is.

Margie Moran-Floirendo, President of Ballet Philippines

To show that the CCP is more than just the exhibit, the media was invited to take a walking tour of the building conducted by Ariel Yonzon, head of the CCP Theater Operations. Overseeing the tour was Chris Millado, CCP Vice President and Artistic Director. For me, the tour offered very little that was new since I’ve been to the CCP a lot and I already know the resident companies there like the Philippine Ballet Theatre, Bayanihan Philippine National Folk Dance Company, Ramon Obusan Folkloric Group, Philippine Philharmonic Orchestra, Ballet Philippines and Tanghalang Pilipino. But it was very surprising to see the major media outlets that were present there and I really felt that for most of them, it was their first time to get acquainted with most of the companies there.

So the media was brought to the different areas of the CCP and introduced to some of the companies that were rehearsing there at the time. And when members of these companies were asked what they think of the controversy surrounding the CCP, they all said that budget cut is not the solution and that they need the financial support very much in order to mount shows here and abroad. When I heard these ballet dancers, folk dancers, singers, musicians and actors tell the media that they’ve been working hard and bringing pride to our country with very little financial support from the government, and yet the threat of a budget cut looms over their heads. I personally find this disheartening as if people didn’t learn from the Skyflakes and cat food controversy some months ago. These artists work so hard despite not getting enough support and yet when they reap accolades overseas, that’s just when people start to say how proud they are of them. And I do find this hypocritical but sadly, this is what really happens in here.

I’m glad that the media was given the chance to know more about CCP during their brief tour of the building. I’m glad that the media was able to see the various resident companies of the CCP and I do hope that they’d cover the shows that they mount as well.

John Arcilla and the Tanghalang Pilipino Actors Company

I do hope that people would realize that the CCP has done a lot of good and one has to watch a show there to see what I mean. First of all, shows there start on time and that in itself is very significant in my opinion. If one cannot understand the value of time and punctuality, then I don’t expect that person to ever progress and be successful in life. Second, people tend to behave well at the CCP. During the last Cinemalaya, even the most boisterous crowd during a gala screening was far more civilized than the crowds at premiere screenings held at mall cinemas. This basically boils down to discipline and it doesn’t matter if the people felt that they were forced to be at their best behavior at the CCP. What matters most is that discipline is enforced there and rowdiness be it at the CCP or any place else is not tolerated.

This entry has gone from the CCP tour of the media because of the controversial exhibit to what has CCP instilled in me aside from my appreciation of the arts. It only goes to show that despite the controversy, I still support the artists and the CCP and I will continue to watch their shows, view the exhibits and go there since it has become a huge part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...