Saturday, September 24, 2011

Horacio Nuguid in Concert

Horacio Nuguid with the Manila Symphony Orchestra

Featuring:
Horacio Nuguid, piano
Manila Symphony Orchestra
Jason Ros, conductor

Programme:
Johann Sebastian Bach Sinfonia, from Partita No. 2 in C minor, BWV 826
Franz Liszt 3 Song Transcriptions
     Widmung, Liebeslied, S.566*
     Chant Polonais No. 5 Meine Freuden, S.480**
     Liebesträume No. 3 O lieb, so lang du lieben kannst!, S.541
Maurice Ravel Jeux d’eau
Sergei Rachmaninoff Études-Tableaux in E flat minor, Op. 39 No. 5 
Ludwig van Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 5 in E flat major, Op.73 Emperor

*after Schumann
**after Chopin

Piano concert lovers had much to rejoice in recent months with numerous performances happening around the metro. But it came to the point that it became difficult for me not only to keep track of them but to attend them as well. And there had been a few concerts that I had to miss because of lack of time, money and information regarding them. But this concert by US based pianist Horacio Nuguid was something that I couldn’t afford to miss for various reasons. The concert was organized by friends whom I’ve hung out and watched concerts with a number of times. And among these friends was conductor Jason Ros who made his Philam Life Auditorium debut with the Manila Symphony Orchestra for this concert. And I was glad that I was able to help them in my own little way as well since this was also for the benefit of the Hospicio de San Jose.

As I’ve said, there had been numerous piano concerts and sometimes it could be draining to watch them since classical music concerts require more effort from a member of the audience compared to a regular pop/rock concert. Thankfully, this concert had a unique and varied repertoire which made it interesting for me. As expected, the concert started with Nuguid playing something from the Baroque period which was Johann Sebastian Bach’s Sinfonia, from Partita No. 2 in C minor, BWV 826. It is no secret that I am not a huge fan of this era although I’m beginning to appreciate it more of late. Next, he performed a trio of pieces by Liszt which was again expected during this year of the composer’s 200th birth anniversary. I am pleased that Nuguid chose Widmung, Liebeslied, S.566, Chant Polonais No. 5 Meine Freuden, S.480, and Liebesträume No. 3 O lieb, so lang du lieben kannst!, S.541. The first two pieces were Liszt’s transcription of works by Robert Schumann and Frederic Chopin respectively. These two aren’t commonly played while the third piece is one of Liszt’s most popular works. And I do appreciate Nuguid’s decision to play these pieces since it had a nice mix of familiar, somewhat familiar and unfamiliar pieces.

Maurice Ravel’s Jeux d’eau and Sergei Rachmaninoff’s Études-Tableaux in Eb minor, Op. 39 No. 5 were performed next and I do admit that it was my first time to hear these pieces performed live. But the second half of the concert was familiar territory for me as Nuguid played Ludwig van Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No. 5 in Eb Major, Op.73 which is more popularly known as the Emperor. For this piece, he was accompanied by the Manila Symphony Orchestra under the baton of guest conductor Jason Ros. This piece may be very familiar to me but I welcomed it with open arms since it was a breath of fresh air since it wasn’t another Liszt piano concerto in line with the celebrations. Nonetheless, I felt proud for Jason since he seemed tall while he was conducting the orchestra.

Horacio Nuguid, Jason Ros and guests

Overall, the performance was alright and Nuguid played the pieces that I’m familiar with without any surprises like unconventional interpretations. But what I found most rewarding was the things that I’ve learned like how to produce a concert and how difficult it is especially for classical music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...