Monday, October 10, 2011

Titus Andronicus


Dulaang UP recently staged a local adaptation of Titus Andronicus by William Shakespeare and this production boasted of a cast that included winners from the recent Cinemalaya 2011. Having experienced both Cinemalaya 2011 and also the Virgin Labfest 7 greatly contributed to my interest in watching the play since included in this production was some actors from both events whom I know personally as well. I didn’t mind that I was never a fan of Shakespeare plays and I had no idea what Titus Andronicus was all about. All I knew was that I just had to make it to the Wilfrido Ma. Guerrero Theater, Palma Hall over at the University of the Philippines, Diliman.

As previously mentioned, Cinemalaya awardees were cast in this play and they were led by Bembol Roco (Cinemalaya 2011 Best Actor, Directors Showcase) and Shamaine Centenera-Buencamino (Cinemalaya 2011 Best Supporting Actress, New Breed Category) who played the lead roles of Carding and Clarissa respectively. But it was the other Clarissa, Mailes Kanapi who was on hand during the evening performance that I saw. Other members of the cast were Paolo O’Hara, Paolo Cabañero, Nicco Manalo, Cris Pasturan, Rolando Inocencio, Nar Cabico, Olive Nieto, Zaf Masahud, Skyzx Labastilla, JR Macanas, Ross Pesigan, Sig Pecho, Fitz Betana, Julius Gareza, the Dulaan UP Ensemble and a special participation by Eula Valdez. Mike Tan, Arnold Reyes, Delphine Buencamino, and JK Anicoche were also part of the cast but I wasn’t able to see any of the dates when they were scheduled to perform.

The local adaptation by Layeta Bucoy and directed by Tuxqs Rutaquio was set during the election season when killings and numerous acts of violence related to the elections are rampant. Clarissa (Kanapi) wants to avenge her son’s death at the hands of Carding (Roco) and the scheming, killing and backstabbing happens just two weeks before the elections. It was a bit confusing to me at first who the characters were, and to whom they were allied to. But as things got clearer to me, the body count rose and no one was spared. And those who survived also had some blood in their hands which unfortunately reflects on how local politics is. One aggrieved party demands the life of the other and either side doesn’t seem to be satisfied until the other is completely annihilated.

The Cast of Titus Andronicus

I remember shifting continuously in my seat since this wasn’t a comfortable play to watch. I knew that this was just a play and that no one was really supposed to get seriously hurt (although Olive Nieto absolutely got hurt since she got dragged around the stage during the scene when her character was brutally raped) but there were some moments when I had to squirm and sit through some tough scenes. One particular scene that really disturbed me involved a remote control being shoved into a place where the device clearly doesn’t belong to.

This wasn’t a walk in the park for me. The play was indeed disturbing in so many levels. But the most disturbing of all is that the violence depicted in the play, no matter how absurd, does indeed happen in real life especially in the world of politics. I wish that I could’ve seen this production once again with a different set of actors playing the major parts but prior commitments and nasty weather prevented me from doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...