Wednesday, April 18, 2012

PETA and Repertory Philippines celebrate 45 years with Care Divas


April 27, 2012, 8:00 PM
April 28, 2012, 3:00 & 8:00 PM
April 29, 2012, 3:00 & 8:00 PM
Onstage Theater
2nd Level, Greenbelt 1, Greenbelt
Paseo de Roxas cor. Legaspi St., Ayala Center
Makati, Metro Manila, Philippines

I thought that crossovers only happen in comicbooks but a crossover of sorts is also happening in the theater scene in here as Philippine Educational Theater Association (PETA) and Repertory Philippines combine forces and bring Care Divas for an encore run happening this April 27-29, 2012 at Onstage in Greenbelt 1. Finally, the Makati crowd who found it too cumbersome to travel all the way to Quezon City where Care Divas was formerly staged will find themselves with no more excuses not to catch the musical during this very limited, one weekend special run.

I admit that I’ve never seen the whole production of Care Divas before since I am indeed one of those who found it cumbersome to travel all the way to the PETA Theater Center. I’ve heard that it is a hilariously funny musical written by Liza Magtoto and I’ve seen how hilarious it is when the cast performed an excerpt during the 2010 Gawad Buhay! Awards. Alas, that was my only exposure to the show until just recently when I saw the cast perform two numbers from the musical during the press launch. And the performance just reaffirmed how hilariously funny and musically memorable this musical truly is.


The musical tells the story of Chelsea, Shai, Thalia, Kayla and Jonee, five transgender overseas Filipino workers in Israel who try to bear the hardships of being caregivers by day by becoming drag queen performers by night. I was very intrigued when I find out that this will be set in Israel since I’m a friend of the Embassy of Israel. Now I look forward to see how the Filipino gay culture and the Israeli setting go together in this production. And my interest was further heightened when I listened to the original cast recording featuring all of the music from the musical. I am extremely pleased with what I heard which was memorable tunes, very witty world play with the lyrics and yes, even a hint of Jewish music. These small doses that I’ve seen, heard and read made me understand why this musical has been one of PETA’s biggest hits and also why Rep chose to stage this among the material that PETA has produced so far.

The encore run of Care Divas will be brought to life by the original cast themselves with a few changes: PETA artists Melvin Lee, Vincent De Jesus, Phil Noble, Buddy Caramat, Dudz Teraña, Jason Barcial and Eric dela Cruz. Featured guest artists are: Paul Holme, Ricci Chan, Jerald Napoles, Myke Salomon, Angeli Bayani together with Miguel Hidalgo and Dominic Miclat-Janssen. Veteran actress and Repertory Philippines’ Children's Theater Artistic Director, Joy Virata joins the cast as Adara and Sara, roles formerly portrayed by PETA President, Cecilia Garrucho.

The Care Divas with Menchu Lauchengco-Yulo

The show is directed by Maribel Legarda and is joined by a creative team that includes costume designer John Abul, lighting designer Jon Jon Villareal, visual artist and set designer Leo Abaya and contemporary dancer and choreographer Carlon Matobato.

Ticket prices:
P1100 Orchestra Center
P800 Orchestra Side
P500 Balcony

For Inquiries:
PETA Marketing and Public Relations Office 725-6244, 410-0821, (0917) 576-5400, petatheater@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...