Saturday, June 16, 2012

Italian National Day 2012 (Festa della Repubblica 2012)

Ambassador Luca Fornari delivers a speech

My relationship with the Embassy of Italy began because of music. A year ago during the Italian National Day 2011 celebrations, I was the tambourine guy who joined Eugenio Bennato and the Taranta Power on stage during their encore number. Since then, I’ve had the honor to be part of their cultural events like the Moviemove: Italian Cinema Now, Le Supplici dance performance and Faces of Pinoy Rock. Almost a year later since that tambourine moment, I found myself in yet another celebration of the Italian National Day, one that also celebrated the 65th anniversary of the diplomatic relations between the Philippines and Italy. This time around, the celebration centered on Italian food which is very close to the Filipino soul, or stomach if I may say.

RAd with the carabinieri, Mauro and Giovanni

The event happened at the residence of Ambassador Luca Fornari and his wife Madame Silvana Novelli-Fornari who warmly welcomed their guests that I heard reached to around 600. Fortunately, these guests were well fed courtesy of Margarita Fores and Chef “Marietta” Carla Brigiladori. Along with them was Mayor Paolo Zoffoli of Forlimpopoli who flew in here to sign an agreement a couple of days before to open a branch of Casa Artusi here in the Philippines. Casa Artusi is a culinary institution founded by Forlimpopoli native Pellegrino Artusi (1820-1911) who is considered the father of Italian cuisine. Artusi was the one who established traditional Italian cuisine (and unified the country as well) through his book La scienza in cucina e l'arte di mangiare bene translated as The Science of Cooking and the Art of Eating Well. So having a branch of Casa Artusi in the country is truly a big deal in the culinary world in here. The school is expected to open sometime in 2013.

RAd and Ambassador Luca Fornari enjoying the gelato

The guests who were there didn’t have to wait for 2013 to taste authentic Italian cuisine since food prepared the Artusian style was abundant during the event. Buffet tables were placed all around the area and I found it very difficult to figure out what to eat since there were so many tables and dishes to choose from. In between feasting on the food and consuming glasses of wine, I managed to have brief conversations with Israeli Ambassador Menashe Bar-On and Madame Eti and also with Argentinean Ambassador Joaquin Otero and Madame Marta Otero. I was also able to see other familiar faces as well like Rob Hayden from Lyceum, CCP President Dr. Raul Sunico and Nestor Jardin, also from CCP. Despite my best efforts, I wasn’t able to talk to Former President Fidel V. Ramos who was there as well along with his daughter Cristy Ramos Jalasco. I’ve wanted to have a photo with him but the opportunity never came. But I’ve had a photo with the carabinieri in full uniform, a huge hit that evening since a lot of the guests had photos with them as well.

RAd with Argentinean Amb. Joaquin Otero and Israeli Amb. Menashe Bar-On 

I wished that I could’ve eaten everything that was served but that wasn’t possible since my stomach could only take so much food. But I was glad that I was able to have some gelato and also the dessert composed of various cakes and sweets which I really saved until the very end. If the food in this celebration is an indication of what the Casa Artusi will bring forth to the Philippines, then I welcome it with open arms. Thanks once again to the Embassy of Italy, Ambassador Fornari, Madame Silvana, Emanuela, and Isis for the experience and the opportunities (and especially the food and wine).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...