Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Bamboo at Radio Republic’s Live at 2299

Bamboo

I’ve been a fan of Bamboo Mañalac even since he was the frontman of Rivermaya back in the 1990’s. Despite all the things that has happened since then (Bamboo leaving Rivermaya, forming Bamboo, the band and then going solo), I’ve always remained a fan and responded positively with his music. One major turning point for me was when I heard Ryan Cayabyab’s arrangement of Hallelujah for orchestra and chorale and it changed the way I looked at Bamboo’s music again. And it truly made me a happy camper when he opted for a more organic and orchestral sound for No Water, No Moon, his first album as a solo artist which is released by Polyeast Records. One can just imagine what my reaction was when I heard the strings, the brass, the children’s choir, the harmonica and the lush orchestration throughout the album.

I wanted to see Bamboo perform live ever since the album’s release back in November, but the chances have all passed me by. He also had an album signing before and I was just in the same building but didn’t have the chance to attend the signing. I saw him perform one number during the Icons at the Mall of Asia Arena: Masters of OPM concert and again, the Ryan Cayabyab arrangement of Noypi proved that Bamboo’s stuff really translates well with an orchestra. I was very thrilled when I was able to have a quick photo with him after the concert. But that wasn’t enough and I hoped for more.


Thankfully, Radio Republic, the online video streaming station that plays 100% Filipino music came along. I do remember asking them when Bamboo will drop by the station and they told me that it was just a matter of time. That time eventually came when Bamboo became the guest for Radio Republic’s Live at 2299 show and not even a sudden heavy downpour prevented me from getting there. Being drenched was just a small price to pay for something that I’ve waited for a long, long time.


So focused was I on Bamboo that I forgot that he would have his band along with him. I shouldn’t have been surprised seeing Ria Osorio once again considering that she’s the keyboardist and also one of the arrangers of the album. Her fellow arranger Kakoy Legaspi came armed with an acoustic guitar, steel guitar and a rare mandolin. Along with the two were guitarist Chico Gonzales and cellist Anjo Inacay. The band was pared down compared to the usual setup but it worked pretty well with the show. Bamboo performed a one hour set, singing songs from No Water, No Moon like In Shadow, In This Life, Questions and Ikot ng Mundo. After a couple of songs, Bamboo also answered questions that were sent by viewers via twitter. This Bamboo gig for Radio Republic’s Live at 2299 turned out to be an intimate affair which for me is much preferred over concerts at huge arenas (or worse, open grounds) complete with a screaming and possibly unruly crowd. After the performance, I had Bamboo sign a copy of the CD (at long last), have a brief conversation with him and have another photo taken with him without any security people telling me to make it quick.

Bamboo at Live at 2299

Lastly, I took the opportunity to let Bamboo have the honor in being the first one to scribble at my little notebook that I brought that night. This little notebook has been with me for some months now and I had no idea what to do with it. One day, I just slapped a Radio Republic sticker on the cover since it was just plain and that’s when it dawned on me. I decided to have local recording artists (OPM artists) write a brief and positive message in its pages. The message could either relate to local music or life in general. So that whenever I feel like I’m losing hope or getting depressed, I just have to read what has been written in the pages to snap me out of my slump. And I think that it’s also a great reminder for me that OPM is truly alive and not dead.

"sunshine in darker times..."

It’s been more than a week since this Bamboo encounter and I’m still grinning from ear to ear whenever I think of it. And this wasn’t even the end of it as Kakoy Legapi’s mandolin also sparked the beginning of something else which I think is very cool indeed. It’s such a great feeling when something that I’ve waited for such a long time eventually happens. And this wouldn’t happen if not for Radio Republic which I think is possibly the most happening place for OPM right now. Many thanks also to Polyeast Records especially to Ethel Cachapero, Tricia Pablo and Mel Katigbak.


No Water, No Moon

Tracks:
1. In Shadow
2. Please
3. Morning Rose
4. Back on My Feet
5. Questions
6. Spin
7. In This Life
8. Down the Line
9. All Hail the Fool
10. The Only Way
11. Just Go
Bonus:
12. Ikot ng Mundo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...