Wednesday, December 25, 2013

The Gusto Trattoria Italiana Dining Experience


Italian artist Nino Quartana is often seen along with his wife Emanuela Adesini, cultural attaché of the Embassy of Italy during cultural events of various embassies and institutions. But of late, Nino has been conspicuously absent from these events as he is now busy at the kitchen of Gusto Trattoria Italiana, an Italian restaurant specializing in Sicilian cuisine located in the food hub of Parañaque.

For some months, Nino had cooking lessons held in Makati but I didn’t have the chance to take them or even drop by to see (and possibly taste) the food that he and his students have prepared. I did have a taste of some of his appetizers which he served during his Faces of Pinoy Rock exhibit some time ago but nothing beats trying a full meal. So on one lazy Saturday afternoon, Emanuela and I traveled down south of the metro so that I can finally try for myself Nino’s dishes. Thankfully, we didn’t encounter that much traffic or as Emanuela said: Per fortuna, oggi non c'e traffico.

Nino Quartana

Upon arriving at the restaurant, we were warmly welcomed by Nino who had been waiting for us. The first thing I noticed when I looked around was the prominently displayed painting of Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao by Nino that was done in his signature style of including volcanic ash in his works. And on the opposite wall, there was a collage of famous Italian personalities. Thankfully, I wasn’t quizzed about these personalities were since it was only legendary tenor Luciano Pavarotti and Oscar Award winning actor Roberto Benigni whom I was able to identify from the lot. But what really pleased me was the shelf that had some CDs, books, magazines and comics in Italian. I browsed with much interest copies of Corto Maltese and Dylan Dog in their original language which surprised Emanuela since she wasn’t aware that I happen to know these Italian comicbook characters.

But I had to set these comics or fumetti aside since it was time for us to eat. I left the decision to Nino and Emanuela on what appetizers to have. As I’ve told Emanuela, it doesn’t matter what we have as long as it is good. Non importa se è buono. We were first served Agliata di zucca which was an appetizer of pumpkin slices drizzled with garlic oil.

Agliata di zucca

Next was a plate of Panelle which I truly enjoyed. The warmth of the chickpea fritters along with the sourness of freshly squeezed lemon made me want to eat this forever. But there was still the main course.

Panelle

I was asked which main course I wanted and it was a choice between Lasagna bolognese and Spaghetti al nero di seppia. Emanuela decided to have the lasagna while I tried to be adventurous and went for the spaghetti instead.

Lasagna bolognese

The decision to have the spaghetti might surprise people who know me since I’ve never developed a liking for squid ink particularly because of its unattractive color. Surprisingly, I found it to be a delectable dish since the squid, aside from having generous portions, was fresh and cooked just right. As someone who belongs to a family whose business involved seafood, I can distinguish between fresh ones and those that had been frozen and thawed prior to cooking. Of course, those freshly caught are superior in taste and in texture.

Spaghetti al nero di seppia

For dessert, we had Crespella alla Nutella which I think should be avoided by anyone who is on a strict diet. I joked to Emanuela that this posed a danger for those who are trying to lose weight since it was sinfully delightful. È pericoloso, I told her. This dish I enjoyed alongside a glass of Zibibbo, a sweet dessert wine.

Crespella alla Nutella

Dining at Gusto Trattoria Italiana was a very pleasant and casual experience. The atmosphere is very relaxed as befitting a trattoria. One could easily just chill while dining although Nino had to remind me several times not to let the food cool since they tasted a lot better when still hot. I did enjoy my time there for not only did I have a hearty meal, but I also learned a lot more about Italian culture specifically about Italian music and comics. People have said before that the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. Well, I think that a way for a man to learn Italian is through his stomach as well based on my dining experience.


Gusto Trattoria Italiana is located at 215 Aguirre Avenue, BF Homes Parañaque.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...