Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Celebrating Denmark's Constitution Day with Nicklas Sahl

Danish Ambassador Jan Top Christensen

At a music event held in early May, I met Danish Ambassador Jan Top Christensen and he teased me about the presence of a rising music star who would be performing at their upcoming Constitution Day. At that time, I didn't ask for further details (which was very unlikely of me) but was still very much intrigued as to who he or she might be.

Fast forward a month later, I find myself once again as a guest of the Embassy of Denmark's Constitution Day celebrations held at the Enderun College in McKinley, Taguig. This year's celebrations was bittersweet as this was going to be Ambassador Christensen's last time to host for he is ending his mission soon. He has been instrumental in strengthening the ties between the Philippines and Denmark ever since the reopening of the Embassy of Denmark here back in January 2015.

Since then, the Embassy had spearheaded a number of cultural projects ranging from music, film, and literature. These cultural events have exposed Filipinos to Danish culture and increased their knowledge of the country to know more beyond Lego and cookies. As for me, I got to know Carl Nielsen which was how my connection to the Danish in here started.

Ambassador Christensen will be certainly missed and I wish him all the best in his future endeavors. I will always be grateful for the wonderful opportunities that the Embassy of Denmark has given me for the past few years.

RAd's Playlist | Nicklas Dahl's Planets

As I've said earlier, the celebrations featured the performance of a rising music star. And he was no other than Danish singer/songwriter Nicklas Sahl.

Singer/songwriter Nicklas Sahl

Armed with his Fender Stratocaster, he performed a handful of his originals after the speeches and the toasts. With all the food, wine, and beer at the event, as well as the excellent weather, the guests were in a good mood to listen to him jam. This was when I realized that I should've pressed for more details on who the performer was before I came to the event. It would've been great to have familiarized myself with his discography prior to seeing him perform live.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...