Thursday, June 30, 2011

Belgian violinist/conductor Thanos Adamopoulos to conduct the Manila Symphony Orchestra


July 9, 2011, 8:00 PM
Philam Life Auditorium
UN Avenue, Manila

Featuring:
Thanos Adamopoulos, violin/conductor
Manila Symphony Orchestra

Programme:
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Overture from The Marriage of Figaro, K. 492
Ludwig van Beethoven Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 61
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 5 in E minor, Op. 64

Time seems to be on a standstill amidst all these recent events with none really devoted to orchestral music. And yet when I got reminded that the next Manila Symphony Orchestra season concert is just less than two weeks away, it now seems that time has moved so fast. I can’t believe that it’s been that long since their successful Gustav Mahler performance at the Cultural Center of the Philippines even though it was just less than a month ago. But instead of pondering on the passage of time (is it too fast or too slow?) and losing my hair in the process, I think that it’s better for me to psyche myself up with the MSO’s second concert for their 2011 season entitled The Artistry of Thanos Adamopoulos happening this July 9, 2011, 8:00 PM at the Philam Life Auditorium. And as the title suggests, this concert will feature guest conductor and violin soloist Thanos Adamopoulos, a renowned Belgian violinist, conductor and pedagogue.

The Manila Symphony Orchestra

Well, it didn’t take me that long to get psyched up once I learned of what the programme for this concert would be: popular pieces by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky and Ludwig van Beethoven. I’ve said before that the Overture to The Marriage of Figaro, K.492 by Mozart is a sentimental favorite. I know that I’ve heard Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 5 in E Minor, Op. 64 performed some months ago but I don’t mind hearing it, especially the exquisite second movement, once again.

Thanos Adamopoulos

Music lovers had to put up with a delay of almost a year to see Adamopoulos conduct and play with the MSO. He was supposed to be here during the MSO's July concert last year but he was unable to come that time. Fortunately, it looks like nothing is stopping him from coming this time. He also will be the featured violinist in Beethoven’s Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 61 which I like better than what he was supposed to play last year.

I’m grateful that I’ve had the opportunity to be at an overwhelming number of cultural events for the past month or so but it’s very nice finally to go back to my comfort zone and watch a concert like this.

Ticket prices:
P1000 Orchestra Center
P800 Orchestra Side
P500 Loge
50% student discount
20% senior citizen discount

For inquiries:
MSO Secretariat 523-5712, (0917) 958-3297

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...