Thursday, August 02, 2012

ABS-CBN Philharmonic Orchestra Kapamilya Concert

ABS-CBN Philharmonic Orchestra

Featuring:
ABS-CBN Philharmonic Orchestra
Gerard Salonga, conductor

Programme:
Mike Hanopol Laki sa Layaw
Mikhail Glinka Overture from Ruslan and Lyudmila
Leonard Bernstein Overture from Candide
Antonino Buenaventura Mindanao Sketches
Ennio Morricone Cinema Paradiso
John Williams Schindler’s List Theme
                     Star Wars Suite
Constancio de Guzman Maalaala Mo Kaya

I can still remember Gerard Salonga telling me months ago (and asking me never to tell anyone else) about an exciting and intriguing development in the local classical music scene. He said that FILharmoniKA, his orchestra at the time, would no longer exist and that they would eventually be the ABS-CBN Philharmonic Orchestra. About a month after that, auditions were held at the Dolphy Theater and soon enough, the  orchestra performed publicly for the first time during the Icons at the Mall of Asia Arena: Masters of OPM concert which I was also able to see. There was another chance for me to see the 40 member orchestra again when they had the Kapamilya Concert at the Dolphy Theater but I unfortunately missed it due to conflict in schedule. But fate was kind and the orchestra gave another concert with almost the same programme. This was already my second chance and there was no way that I was going to let it pass.

The Kapamilya Concert was in many ways a unique orchestral performance. First of all, the concert programme wasn’t announced in advance compared to other concerts where the whole season’s programme is known beforehand. It was no use at all when I tried to convince several orchestra members before the first Kapamilya Concert to tell me what they’ve had prepared and they refused to give me any answers. Second, Gerard Salonga (the orchestra's principal conductor and music director) talked to the audience and introduced the pieces to be played, giving the mostly unaccustomed audience members enough information and background on the pieces so that they could appreciate the music more. He even told the audience that they could applaud whenever they feel like it. Lastly, there was a portion when some members of the audience were asked to volunteer and participate.

The programme consisted of a varied mix of standard orchestral repertoire (Glinka’s Overture to Ruslan and Lyudmila, Bernstein’s Overture to Candide), local compositions including both classical (Buenaventura’s Mindanao Sketches) and popular (Hanopol’s Laki sa Layaw and de Guzman’s Maalaala Mo Kaya) and a healthy serving of film tunes (Morricone’s Cinema Paradiso and John Williams’ Theme from Schindler’s List and Stars Wars Suite). Before performing Schindler’s List, Gerard introduced the new concertmaster of the orchestra, Ralph Waldo Taylan who will take over Rechelle Alcances, previous concertmaster even during the orchestra’s FILharmoniKA days, who will be leaving the country soon.

RAd conducts!
photo c/o the ABS-CBN Philharmonic Orchestra

And then there was the audience participation part. Gerard asked if any among the audience would want to sing The Prayer by David Foster and Carole Bayer Sager along with the orchestra. Two women, probably ABS-CBN employees, took the challenge and sang the duet. Then it was time for someone from the audience to conduct with the orchestra playing Star Wars. And that someone turned out to be me. It was a very exciting, nerve wracking and crazy moment for me since I don’t know how to conduct an orchestra at all. Conductors usually wield the baton with their right hand but I had to use my left (since I am left handed) to avert any disasters if ever I attempted to do it with my right. I asked for the music score, although Gerard told me that I did not need to do so. Looking back, I wish that I had just conducted the orchestra sans the score since it was a very intimidating and daunting experience looking at it for the first time, trying to work my way with it and all the while conducting the orchestra trying desperately not to miss a beat. My mind worked overtime figuring out which section of the orchestra I had to focus on shifting from one staff to another. And it was embarrassing when Gerard had to turn pages for me since I got lost reading the score. I remember almost panicking when I saw the tempo set to 108, then to 100 a few measures later, and not knowing how to lead the orchestra going into it. I admit that I didn’t do the best job in conducting but still, it was an awesome experience. After all this, I felt the adrenaline rush and a huge sense of relief which led me to enjoy the orchestra playing Leonard Bernstein’s Mambo from Symphonic Dances from West Side Story for their encore.

Gerard Salonga with the orchestra's executive director Mickey Muñoz

It’s not everyday that pianists who usually play alone are given the chance to conduct an orchestra. And having this chance got me thinking on how difficult conducting really is. What I did was very unconventional since conductors do study the music score a lot even before attempting to play the music with the orchestra. And what I did was totally the opposite, leading the orchestra having no idea how the score looked like. I thought that I knew Star Wars music but there’s a huge difference between knowing the piece because you’ve listened to it numerous times and really knowing the music because you’ve seen how John Williams scored it.

Gerard Salonga and RAd

This Kapamilya Concert was a performance exclusively for ABS-CBN employees and invited guests and members of the press. The ABS-CBN Philharmonic Orchestra will have its inaugural concert which is open to the public on August 18, 2012 at the Philam Life Auditorium featuring pianist Jovianney Cruz. He performs Liszt’s Piano Concerto No. 1 in E flat major, S. 124. Other pieces prepared for that night are the Roman Carnival Overture, Op. 9 by Hector Berlioz and Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Op. 68 by Johannes Brahms. Another concert catered specifically to families happens on September 2, 2012, 6:00 PM at the Meralco Theater. This concert features the music of composer John Williams known for his works on movies like Superman, E.T., Star Wars, Jaws, Indiana Jones, and Schindler’s List.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...