Sunday, August 05, 2012

The Philippine Popular Music Festival Experience (PhilPop) Part 5

The Philippine Popular Music Festival First Round Adjudicators

The buzz surrounding the recently concluded Philippine Popular Music Festival (PhilPop) has subsided. But for the songs that won, as well as the others that made it into the finals, the journey continue on as these works try to get some much needed radio airplay and get performed regularly by those who interpreted them, thus eventually finding its way among the great OPM hits of the past.

I guess that it’s a great time for me to look back on my journey as an adjudicator during the first and third rounds of the competition. Ryan Cayabyab, the festival’s executive director was the one who asked me to be part of the jury. It was an opportunity that I couldn’t let pass so I accepted without any hesitation.

Judging the earlier rounds

The night before the screening, I got excited and anxious at the same time. I had no idea who the other adjudicators were and most importantly, I didn’t know what to expect since this was a new experience for me. I made it to the early call time at the Remington Hotel where all the adjudicators were lodged. All my fears were unfounded since Patricia Hizon and the rest of the PhilPop team was so nice and made everyone feel at ease. I was impressed by the caliber of the other adjudicators since they were major players in the music industry: record executives, artists, musicians, studio people, managers and journalists. I felt humbled and honored to be among them which made me take more seriously the task of screening the almost 3,000 entries that made it before the deadline.

Team Leader Fonzi along with Erwin, RAd, Ms. Baby Gil and Mr. Jong Azores

During the first round, I was in a team made up of four adjudicators who had to listen to roughly 450 songs and grade each of them. The only thing we knew about each song was its title and a serial number attached to it. There were multiple entries with the same title so the serial number helped us in differentiating same titled songs. Other teams listened to different sets of songs and the average grades of the entries determine who would make it to the next round. I do think that the first round serve to weed out the bad from the good.

The Third Round Adjudicators

When I got called back for the third round a week later, our team, now made up of five adjudicators had to listen to just 109 songs, if I’m not mistaken. It was very interesting to hear a bunch of songs from the first round that made it this far. And it was also very surprising to know the songs that my team wasn’t able to hear during the first round. While it was easier to grade fewer songs compared to the first round, I had to be more discerning since the standard got higher as the songs left were now a lot better. The adjudicators during the third round were again a diverse mix of people involved in the music industry with some getting called back from the previous rounds while some judged for the first time.

Finally meeting Karl and the Akafellas

When the top 14 songs were announced, I was relieved to see that my personal bet made it. Whenever I was asked by anyone which song I was rooting for, I only told them that the first time I heard that song during the earlier rounds (even before the finalists were announced), I decided to place my bet on it, “every step” of the way. Keen observers found out that I’ve been alluding to Bawat Hakbang by Karl Villuga all along, since the song’s title is the Filipino translation of every step. I couldn’t be more pleased that this song won the top prize in the competition which is what I was really hoping for. I can still remember getting goosebumps when I first heard the song during the third round and I told myself that that is the winning song for me.

The Akafellas perform for Live at 2299 over at Radio Republic

When I found out that Karl, and the rest of the Akafellas would be the featured artists for Live at 2299 over at Radio Republic, I knew that I had to be there. I never told Karl how I personally felt about the song during the banquet after the finals. So this was the next ideal chance for me to do so. Besides, Radio Republic has become one of my favorite places on earth and going back there is always a pleasure. I got there with lots of time to spare and I was able to formally introduce myself to Karl and the rest of the Akafellas before the show started. It’s always a treat watching music acts over at Radio Republic since the studio makes for such a very intimate venue. And I admit that I am already old for screaming fans so my ears and I are glad that there aren’t any of those around the station. I was able to appreciate fully the Akafellas’ performance that night consisting of a cappella versions of Bongga Ka Day, Kaleidoscope World, Tuloy Pa Rin and of course, the PhilPop winning song Bawat Hakbang (with a backing track and without Mark Bautista). The Akafellas are really an eight man a cappella group but they were nine at the time since they had with them their newest member.

RAd and the Akafellas

Afterwards, we just hung around the studio for a bit, goofed around, posed for photos (as the "tenth" Akafellas member), and I answered some questions from the group regarding my PhilPop judging experience. It’s a bit sad knowing that Karl would be leaving the Akafellas and the country soon to pursue other things. I wish him well in his future endeavors and I congratulate him once again for winning and most importantly, composing such a good song.

Before I forget, the Philippine Popular Music Festival (PhilPop) album featuring the top 14 songs is already out in the market. To refresh everybody's memory, the finalists (in alphabetical order) are: 3 AM by Keiko Necesario and interpreted by Marié Digby; Bawat Hakbang by Karl Villuga and interpreted by Mark Bautista and the Akafellas; Bigtime by Trina Belamide and interpreted by Baihana; Brown by James Leyte and interpreted by Brownman Revival and James Leyte; Dulo ng Dila by Noah Zuñiga; Himig ng Panahon by Thyro Alfaro and interpreted by Duncan Ramos, Luke Mejares, Loonie, Thyro and Yumi; Kesa by Edwin Marollano and interpreted by Daniel Gorospe; Kontrabida by Soc Villanueva and interpreted by Sam Concepcion; Minsa'y Isang Bansa by Gary Granada and also interpreted by him; Negastar by Mike Villegas and interpreted by Cathy Go; Piso by Krist Melecio and interpreted by Joey Ayala; Slowdancing by Kennard Faraon and interpreted by Nyoy Volante; Takusa by Byron Ricamara and interpreted by Rocksteddy; Tayo-Tayo Lang by Toto Sorioso and interpreted by Ebe Dancel. This album, distributed by Ivory Music & Video is also available in digital formats via MyMusicStore Philippines.



Philippine Popular Music Festival 2012

Tracks:
1. 3 AM
2. Bawat Hakbang
3. Bigtime
4. Brown
5. Dulo ng Dila
6. Himig ng Panahon
7. Kesa
8. Kontrabida
9. Minsa'y Isang Bansa
10. Negastar
11. Piso
12. Slowdancing
13. Takusa
14. Tayo-Tayo Lang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...