Wednesday, August 22, 2012

MSO III: Music by the Russian Masters

Victor Asuncion with the Manila Symphony Orchestra

Featuring:
Victor Asuncion, piano
Manila Symphony Orchestra
Arturo Molina, conductor

Programme:
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky Francesca da Rimini: Symphonic Fantasy after Dante, Op. 32
Sergei Rachmaninoff Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Op. 34
Dmitri Shostakovich Symphony No. 9 in E flat major, Op. 70

This concert of the Manila Symphony Orchestra that featured the music of Russian composers was yet another one of the numerous events that got postponed because of the horrible weather that plagued Metro Manila and nearby areas for two weeks. What was supposed to be a two night performance not only got pushed back a week later but it was also reduced into a one night only event. Fortunately, the guest pianist for this concert, Victor Asuncion still hasn’t flown back to the US and was still able to perform at the rescheduled date held at the Santiago Francisco Hall. And most importantly, my schedule allowed me to catch this can’t miss performance featuring the music by some of my favorite Russian composers.

The hellish situation that a lot experienced the week before was very apt for the opening piece of the night which was Francesca da Rimini: Symphonic Fantasy after Dante, Op. 32 by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. This piece told the tragic tale of Francesca and Paolo who got condemned to the Second Circle in Hell due to their love affair. I found it amazing how recent events could change how I would react to a certain performance. A prime example of that were the whirling passages that were supposed to signify the souls tormented and trapped in this portion of hell. But all the while throughout the performance, I’ve thought of the recent bad weather instead. I am pretty sure that if the concert happened as previously scheduled with the weather being a lot more pleasant, I would’ve thought more of the story of Francesca and her lover Paolo.

Pianist Victor Asuncion

Thankfully, I was more focused when it was time for Victor Asuncion to perform one of the most anticipated pieces for the night: Sergei Rachmaninoff’s Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Op. 34. I was very pleased to see Victor play a very elegant rendition of this piece. He avoided unnecessary displays of flamboyance and pomposity in the difficult passages which some people could equate to a display of virtuosity. He also didn’t succumb to over dramatizing that could weigh down in sentimentality the very popular Variation 18. Overall, it was a very effortless, refined and again, very elegant rendition of this Rachmaninoff staple. As an encore, he and the orchestra performed a repeat of Variation 18.

The last piece of the night was Dmitri Shostakovich’s Symphony No. 9 in E flat major, Op. 70 and this was when I really got to focus on the orchestra and conductor Arturo Molina. In direct contrast to the Tchaikovsky piece where my knowledge regarding the piece was rendered moot due to my mind wandering elsewhere, my fascination with Shostakovich, his works and the story behind them served me very well during the performance. I am not sure if I was the only one smiling when the piccolo started playing during the first movement knowing that this section defied any notion that this particular ninth symphony would be as grand as the other similarly numbered symphonies by other composers. I never felt this level of satisfaction while watching an orchestra perform knowing that I’ve devoted many hours learning about Shostakovich, his works and Russian history as well. The notes that were played by the MSO during the performance didn’t come off as just notes for me but rather more. I felt and imagined how things were back then, when Shostakovich’s works could possibly lead to his doom at the hands of Stalin if he weren't pleased with them. And I thank the MSO for giving me the opportunity to listen to Shostakovich who is right there on top of my favorite composers.

The orchestra also gave another encore and in keeping with the Russian theme, they played the crowd pleaser Sabre Dance from Gayane by Aram Khachaturian. While he is considered Armenian as opposed to Russian, he was still part of the trio of Soviet titan composers alongside Sergei Prokofiev and Dmitri Shostakovich. Thus, this concert ended a very tiring week not just for me, but for many others who were still recovering from the previous weeks. I am just glad that music performances are always there to give me that extra energy and the drive to deal with the rough road ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...