Wednesday, June 12, 2013

MCO Foundation Great Performances Series 2013: Albert Tiu and Marcel Luxen

Pianist Albert Tiu and clarinetist Marcel Luxen

Featuring:
Albert Tiu, piano
Marcel Luxen, clarinet

Programme:
Robert Schumann Fantasiestücke, Op. 73 for Clarinet and Piano
Johannes Brahms Sonata for Clarinet and Piano No. 1 in F minor, Op. 120
Carl Maria von Weber Grand Duo Concertant in E flat major, Op. 48
Johannes Brahms Sonata for Clarinet and Piano No. 2 in E flat major, Op. 120

The MCO Foundation opened its Great Performances Series 2013 with an intimate night of chamber music featuring pianist Albert Tiu and Belgian clarinetist Marcel Luxen at the Ayala Museum. It’s not very often that a foreign clarinetist gets to play in here so I made sure to see this performance. I am very interested to hear clarinet performances since I do own a clarinet although I play it badly. Fortunately, the Luxen played the clarinet magnificently that night.

The duo started with Robert Schumann’s Fantasiestücke, Op. 73 for Clarinet and Piano. The uncooperative weather almost made me arrive late but I managed to make it just in the nick of time, and this short, lyrical three-movement piece helped me settle into the night quickly. I found the piece very uplifting giving no hint whatsoever to the upcoming madness that would plague Schumann later in his life. The piano part in this piece was relegated more to a supporting role unlike the Gran Duo Concertant in E flat major, Op. 48 by Carl Maria von Weber which started the second half of the concert. In this piece, the pianist was equal in spotlight and virtuosity giving Albert Tiu moments to shine. Both halves of the concert concluded with the clarinet sonatas by Johannes Brahms. The Sonata for Clarinet and Piano No. 1 in F minor, Op. 120 ended the first half while No. 2 in E flat major, Op. 120 rounded up the concert entirely. Both of these sonatas were among Brahms’ latter works after he came out of retirement. These two pieces are very somber in nature, autumnal and very introspective which is very fitting for an intimate night of chamber music. I’ve always associated the clarinet as a very jolly sounding music instrument and I am glad that I was able to hear a different and more serious side to it courtesy of Marcel Luxen and Albert Tiu.

Marcel Luxen, RAd and Albert Tiu

The Masterclass

The following day, Albert Tiu and Marcel Luxen both conducted masterclasses at the Amorsolo Room of the Ayala Museum. I’ve seen Albert Tiu perform numerous times before buta this was just the first time I’ve seen him conduct a masterclass. It was very interesting how he gave particular attention to harmonies and cadences in the pieces played by the participants. Knowing cadences, their character and their place in the music can aid a pianist in giving the  piece a more distinct shape and defined arc. I reckoned that some of the participants felt some pressure to brush up on their music theory after the masterclass. During the second session, I tried listening to Marcel Luxen as he instructed the participants but it was difficult for me to hear what he was saying. I only soaked in the sound coming from the clarinets (his and those of the participants) which were a lot better than the sound that would normally come out from mine. It made me accept once again that I am just resigned to listen to the clarinet and not play it.

Afterwards, I had the pleasure of joining Albert and Marcel, along with the MCO Foundation, for dinner. I was a bit hesitant at first to ask them questions but I managed to throw in a few after a bottle of beer. It led to a very fascinating discussion with topics ranging from PSY’s Gangnam Style, Luxen’s dislike of Pierre Boulez’ music, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2, Nodame Cantabile and how classical music can survive and contemporary music can break through in this era with the internet being a major factor in our daily lives. Luxen summed it up by saying that he doesn’t know if there will be a new orchestral work that will take the music world by storm just like the old days. The future of music is still one great unknown and we'll only see it as it happens.

I thought that watching the concert by Albert Tiu and Marcel Luxen would just be enough but I’ve had the opportunity to hang out with them and know more about their thoughts and opinions regarding various topics in and out of music. Thanks to MCO Foundation for the opportunity. Do watch out for the next Great Performances Series 2013 this July 27, 2013 at the Ayala Museum featuring pianist Claudia Yang.

Text by RAd
Photos by Ruth Medel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...