Tuesday, March 24, 2015

A revealing look at Jaime de Guzman

Jaime de Guzman

One of the things that I’d like to do whenever I arrive early at the Cultural Center of the Philippines for a concert is to view the exhibits at the various galleries located inside the building. Currently in view at the Bulwagang Juan Luna (Main Gallery), Pasilyo Juan Luna (Main Gallery Hallway), and the Pasilyo Guillermo Tolentino (3F Hallway Gallery) is the exhibit Revelations: A Jaime de Guzman Retrospective.


Viewing the galleries should not be an intimidating experience and no prior knowledge of art is required at all. Whenever I see artworks on display, I usually categorize them under two categories: either 1) I like it or I would like to have if I can afford it or 2) I don’t like it. In fact, when I attended the media preview of the exhibit, I had no idea at all who Jaime de Guzman is. What I knew then was that this was a great opportunity for me to widen my horizons and also meet the artist himself.

Gomburza Martyrs

Outside the main gallery, a handful of lush, tranquil landscapes (with relaxing greens) and seascapes, all recent works which gave me an impression that Jaime de Guzman is a retiree who is now enjoying a more relaxed pace in life surrounded by nature.

Metamorphosis I
Metamorphosis II
Metamorphosis III

But when I entered the main gallery, the first works that greeted me were a shocking contrast from those displayed just outside. De Guzman’s defining works, the murals Metamorphosis I, Metamorphosis II and Metamorphosis III, and Gomburza Martyrs, dark and disturbing murals with bold, strong and hard strokes. It did made me wonder what kind of transformation has gone through him to come from where he was when he did his earlier works to who he is right now as revealed in his most recent works.

Sabbath of the Witches

And as if an answer to my question, each section of the gallery is dedicated to a decade and his works are placed chronologically enabling me to see how his style and choice of subjects (interiors, landscapes, mysterious hooded figures in the background) have evolved throughout the decades. One thing was constant though; there weren’t any dominating reds in his works thus answering another question of mine as to why blues (in the timeline, the brochure, even the main gallery entrance) pervade the exhibit.

Self-Portrait 1968

The farthest end of the gallery is dedicated to self portraits and also that of other people. I found it interesting that he did several self portraits throughout the years and the varying styles of each portrait is a curious way to guess how his state of being was when he painted it.

Hibas

Sharing a table with Jaime de Guzman during lunch gave me a great insight to a master who caused such a stir with his paintings back then. When asked if music influenced him when painting, he mentioned that he is fond of the music of Richard Wagner and Richard Strauss. I mentioned that Metamorphosen was a work by Richard Strauss and that it probably was not a coincidence that he did a Metamorphosis series of murals. The imposing size of these murals and also that of Gomburza made me think of the grand orchestration of Wagner’s operas.

Labyrinthian Way

He also mentioned that the reason why he focused on landscapes or lightscapes (due to the lightness and calmness of feeling as one looks at them) in his latter years is to remind the younger generation of artists to go back to nature. The trend of too much introspection and angst found in contemporary works and the lack of landscapes by these young artists prompted him to create these nature themed works.

Jaime de Guzman in front of his Gomburza Martyrs

I may be late to the party when it comes to Jaime de Guzman’s works but I am very pleased that the current exhibit not only allowed me to catch up, but also gave me the opportunity to meet the artist himself.


Revelations: A Jaime de Guzman Retrospective can be viewed at the Cultural Center of the Philippines’ Bulwagang Juan Luna (Main Gallery), Pasilyo Juan Luna (Main Gallery Hallway), and the Pasilyo Guillermo Tolentino (3F Hallway Gallery) from Tuesday to Sunday, 10:00 AM up to 6:00 PM until May 10, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...